Tuesday, January 1, 2008

My Boyfriend Is A Tawt by Zoe McCarthy



I have dated a lot of men in my life. And most of them have been twats. After each break up, I always promised myself that I would not date that kind of man again, that I would not fall under the spell of the Twat.

The only problem was that I didn’t know how to recognize one. I had no idea that Twats come in all kinds of different shapes and sizes, that there is no real way of preparing yourself, of arming yourself against a Twat.

That is, until now.

Zoe McCarthy, author of the award winning blog My Boyfriend is a Twat, has compiled a book of the same name which is subtitled: A Guide to Recognising, Dealing, and Living with an Utter Twat.

Finally! A book for all of us who have dated Twats, loved Twats, are living with Twats! Something to help all the Twat lovers unite and discover their secrets of annoyance! I opened the book with glee, expecting a very funny, tongue in cheek book about Twatdom.

It includes chapters on The Twat (or how to recognize one), the Twat at Home, The Twat at Play, the Twat at Work so that you can recognize a Twat wherever you go. It even includes a quiz so that you can find out whether or not your current squeeze is a Twat or not; probably one of the most important quizzes you will ever take!

Never did I expect that, as well as being incredibly funny, the book would also be moving, insightful, reflective and deeply personal. Part guide, part memoir, My Boyfriend is a Twat is a very personal and revealing look at what living with a Twat is like and how Zoe handles herself.

I knew from reading her blog that the book would be funny, but I had no idea that the book would be so personal. As I read, I was awed by Zoe's humour, her perseverance and the strength of her character and spirit.

The book isn't just about living with Twats. It's about recognizing that, though the Twat may be stupid sometimes (or all the time) and does an incredibly bizarre thing, that's okay. Because love is where you find it, or where it finds you.

What I love most about this book is that, even though Zoe is using her life as an example, she still has enough courage to laugh about everything. Through most of this book, I was laughing so hard that tears slid down my cheeks.

It's a lot harder to write in a humorous way than most people think and I applaud Zoe for writing such a work. It's one of the funniest, most heart felt, beautiful books I've read in a long time and I know I'll be reading it again.

My Boyfriend is a Twat is really a study of human nature, of what makes Twats tick. It's an intimate look into one woman's life and I applaud her courage for writing it down for us all to enjoy.

If you haven't read it yet, what are you waiting for? Read it now, buy three copies! One for yourself and two for your friends who are dating Twats! You'll be doing them a favour, trust me!

1 comment:

zoe said...

Thank you, Jamieson - what an excellent and spot-on review. You couldn't have been nearer the truth at what I was aiming at - and you managed it beautifully.

Thank you again - xx